[Dixielandjazz] YouTube

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Oct 5 14:46:56 PDT 2011

Gary Kiser wrote, along with several other listmates, in reply to my concerns regarding an email from 'YouTube Administration':

> Good question. Could you forward me the email without clicking on anything?

Dear Gary,
It's now gone.

> Sometimes hackers will try to get you to a fake page that looks like the real McCoy where you enter your login and password. If you pass the mouse over the link, what shows up on the status bar at the bottom of the navigator window? Is it the real URL for YouTube?  If not, delete right away.

Mike Logsdon also suggested that, which I do quite often with attachments, but seem to forget about it with suspect email addresses.
The result gave me 'baharco managua htlm'.
Not the full address, as I don't want it spread about.

> If you don't have an account with YouTube or, as you say, never uploaded anything to them, it sounds like you can delete the message without worry.

I don't - so I did.
8>)
I regularly ignore badly worded emails from banks and service companies I never deal with.
Even emails from my own bank, which I know never emails its customers.
Plus frequent notification regarding winning lotteries and offers to transfer some ill-gotten $millions into my bank account.
But that YouTube one was a very genuine-looking new one.
Therefore, this thread will provide a warning to other DJMLers.
Thank you.
Very kind regards,
Bill.