[Dixielandjazz] Condon & Modern Dixieland.

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Oct 5 14:27:38 PDT 2011

Stephen G Barbone wrote (snipped):
> Many may doubt that Condon would have used the word "Dixieland" and/or "Modern Dixieland", but in fact he did so. He uttered these words at the 1956 Newport Jazz Festival......if someone (like Bill Haesler) has a record of that performance, which I believe was done live, you can hear both comments. Perhaps on a Mosaic re-issue?

Dear Steve,
Yes, the performance was released by Columbia and issued on LP:

"Louis Armstrong & Eddie Condon at Newport'. Columbia CL931
Wild Bill Davison (c) Lou McGarity (tb) Peanuts Hucko (cl) Bud Freeman (ts) Gene Schroeder (p) Jack Lesberg (sb) Cliff Leeman (d).
Newport Jazz Festival, Newport, Rhode Island. 5 July 1956.
Condon did not play guitar and had left it, unopened, on the piano.
     Dippermouth Blues
     At The jazz Band Ball    (unissued)
     Bye And Bye
     Squeeze Me
     Struttin' With Some Barbecue
     Big Butter And Egg Man
The performance is (as you suggest) on a Mosaic CD set, 'The Complete CBS Recordings Of Eddie Condon And His All Stars' MD5-152, which I have.
I had previously owned the LP.
As Steve said, it was raining very heavily and Condon made several humorous references to the bleak conditions.
In his introduction to the first tune ("Dippermouth Blues") he says 'For those of you who can't swim, come up here with us."
After several more quips about the rain he announces "We're goin' to play a song. It's a cut 'n' dried thing, it - it's modern dixielaaand."
With some laughter from the band.
Good memory Steve.
Vey kind regards,
Bill.