[Dixielandjazz] Condon & Modern Dixieland.

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 5 10:24:59 PDT 2011

Many may doubt that Condon would have used the word "Dixieland" and/or
"Modern Dixieland", but in fact he did so. He uttered these words at
the 1956 Newport Jazz Festival.

He and his band were in performance during a torrential downpour and
Condon as usual was joking, saying things like: "if you can't swim,
come join us on the bandstand" etc. (paraphrase)

He also said to the audience: "We play Modern Dixieland." (exact quote
if my memory of that event and his performance there is still accurate).

I think if someone (like Bill Haesler) has a record of that
performance, which I believe was done live, you can hear both
comments. Perhaps on a Mosaic re-issue?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband