[Dixielandjazz] Marshall Square Park Concert - guitar style

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 5 07:37:30 PDT 2011

You are quite welcome Peter. As Eddie Condon might say today if he
were alive, "That's modern Dixieland". <grin>

It is my vision as a bandleader to make OKOM acceptable, or even
sought after, by new audiences, especially young people. And so we
have loosened up the rhythm, emphasized swinging, and feature a lot of
double entendre songs. Works well for us.

Our next "new audience" gigs are Saturday Oct. 15. Three hours on the
banks of a stream in Westtown PA, a fundraiser for the local Rotary
Club featuring rubber duck races, prizes etc. Usual audience is about
250 people of which 100 are children under the age of 13. No double
entendre songs here, just Mardi Gras beads to the kids who dance in
front of us. Been doing it annually for 8 years.

Then a 75 mile drive to Dover Delaware for a Gourmet Gala, New Orleans
Jazz Fund Raiser for Delaware Tech College. Students, plus movers and
shakers who help fund the endowment. Three hours, this time in Tuxes,
complete with Mardi Gras beads and double entendre songs. (This gig,
generated originally a decade ago when "Jazz" by Ken Burns was all the
rage has been an annual event for us ever since.)

I think how and what jazz a band plays depends upon what the leader is
trying to accomplish. If the end result is what the band leader wants,
fine, go with it. For us it is new audience and high paying gigs. The
earnings on that day will exceed what sidemen earn for 12 sets at a 3
day jazz festival, 2000 miles from home with 2 additional days spent
traveling.  We are a "working" band, not particularly concerned with
artistic music, or with praise or criticism of what we present.
Because we know what we set out to do, are doing it, and the results
both audience wise and jazz wise, speak for themselves.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband