[Dixielandjazz] Songs about sex

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 4 20:45:17 PDT 2011

> "Stan Brager" <sbrager at verizon.net> wrote
>

> I just bought the CD "Sexcapades" which features songs of love, lust
> and
> depravity recorded by Clara Smith, Dinah Washington, Georgia White,
> Alberta
> Hunter, Lil Johnson, Blue Lu Barker and others. The musicians include
> Memphis Slim, Big Bill Broonzy, Lucky Thompson' All Stars, Charlie
> Green,
> Porter Grainger, Danny Barker Sextet, Earle Warren, Buck Clayton.
>
> I was surprised that "My Handy Man", "Six or Seven Times" and "Empty
> Bed
> Blues" weren't among the selections.
>
> Of course, the only reason I bought it was a song about Christmas "I
> Know
> What You Want For Christmas (But I Don't Know How To Wrap It)".

There you go Stan. And Larry thought we were talking about 4 letter
words and trash. There are lots of songs about sex, drugs and other
earthy subjects in early jazz, blues. I'll bet if we started a list,
we'd find more than one hundred. Especially if the more learned folks
like Audrey Van Dyke , Bill Haesler et al contributed.

Jazz was a four letter word shortly after the turn of the century,
just as bad as F***. Songs like "Jazz Me Blues" were easily understood
by the jazz lovers and the depraved kids of those times.

Kids then vs. kids now? Same s***, different day. No difference.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband