[Dixielandjazz] String Bass or Tuba

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 4 20:36:30 PDT 2011

> Rick Zahniser <zahniser99 at gmail.com> wrote
>
> Obviously, a tuba is better for marching (funerals or parades) than a
> string bass!!
>
> Both were available, because the schools had one.? String basses were
> actually pretty expensive...
> certainly more than a cheap tuba.
>
> A lot of marching in NO... I suspect mostly with a tuba, altho I
> wasn't there. <snark>
>
> Rick Jolley

Dear Rick:

There are always exceptions. Next New Year's Day, check out the
Philadelphia Mummers Parade on your local TV. About 20 String Bands
compete during the day. String Bands are mostly banjoes, Saxophones,
percussion and, string basses.

They march about a mile and a half during the competition. Their size
is anywhere from 20 to 50 or more musicians. The string bass players
have a special harness which enables them to carry the bass in front
of them and play while marching and/or doing special tricks/formations
etc.

The Mummers parade lasts all day and has many divisions (eg Fancy
Brigades, Comic Brigades etc.,) so be sure to check it out during the
String Band competitions.

For those banjophiles on the list, you will be amazed at the number of
banjoists that make this all day parade. HUNDREDS. Yet at the same
time, there are always more banjo pluckers available for other gigs
that day because there are many older guys who can't, or won't, walk
that far especially on a cold winter's day.

For a quick look at a string band with walking/dancing basses see the
below link and check it out at around the 2 minute mark for basses and
banjoes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PG3PIxqabk

Some folks say that New Orleans Jazz owes a lot to the Mummers, who
played their ragtimey music long before the likes of Buddy Bolden.
Check out the below "serenade".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWCwiK-VSik&feature=related

Cheers,
Steve Barbone