[Dixielandjazz] "A moi[r] de payer" (was Support live jazz)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Oct 2 13:33:13 PDT 2011

Marek Boym wrote:
> ...... However, I assume that at least "Moir" is a typo.  In "treat It Gentle," the title is given as "A moi de payer."

Dear Marek,
It was my carelessness.
Again.
Compounded by cutting and pasting the title to save my typing time.
Maybe also subconscious, as the surname of the political cartoonist for our local newspaper, the Sydney Morning Herald is Moir.
8>)
Silly me too.
If I had gone back to my mate Dick Hughes' published 1977 biography, 'Daddy's Practicing Again', I would have found:
"A moi d'Payer' means "my turn to pay" or "I've got to pay"; even "it's my shout". But "It's my Shout", which we used for a while, seemed a pedestrian title for such intense music. It had been composed for a gangster film, Bechet had told me, so I thought 'The Pay-0ff' would be an acceptable, euphonious and evocative translation. 'The Pay-off' it became, and appeared as that subtitle on the Coronet record we made of it early in 1962..."
In this case, I failed to heed my own frequent advice regarding jazz research, tune titles and music.
"Always go back to the source."
Very kind regards,
Bill.