[Dixielandjazz] Firehouse 5 + 2 arrangements

Daniel S. Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Nov 30 08:39:43 PST 2011

Katie (c: DJML)--
    You're a gem, thanks!  I've never heard of the Firehouse Revival before, but i just listened to a couple of their tunes (re-creations) and they do sound like the FH5+2 arrangements, but not slavishly copied.  As Alfred North Whitehead said, "No generation can merely reproduce its ancestors.  You may preserve the life in a flux of form, or preserve the form amid an ebb of life.  But you cannot permanently enclose the same life in the same mould."
    For others who may be interested, you can hear (and see) them on YouTube, and also on iTunes, www.last.fm, www.cduniverse.com, www.amazon.com, www.rdio.com, and a number of others.
    However, i couldn't locate a website for the band.  It would be good to know if they would be willing to make their arrangements of the FH5+2 available to others.
    That, however, brings up the legal question about unpublished but recorded performances of songs: can someone just transcribe what was played and sell or otherwise distribute them without paying a fee to the original band or writer?  What if somebody records you at a festival, and then transcribes it and sells it?  Is that legal?
    Katie, please thank George for me!  It's so great that he's still playing and that you're meeting with him.  I wonder if he would be interested in doing what is called an "oral history" (just a live recording of him talking) of the FH5+2 and his experiences in jazz over the past 60 or so years?

    Dan