[Dixielandjazz] German Brass

Eric Holroyd eholroyd at optusnet.com.au
Sun Nov 13 15:46:03 PST 2011

I’d never seen these guys in action before Bob Ringwald posted the link to
their YouTube video of Peanut Vendor.

Such musicianship, and what a great performance!

It suddenly struck me though that, even at that very high level of playing,
quite a few of those trombonists still unconsciously did the trick that all
trombone players seem to learn in their first few lessons.

I'm referring to the habit of checking for the third position by reaching
out a finger to touch the bell.

Obviously, none of these guys need to do that, but the habit has been firmly
entrenched for so many years, and they probably don't even know that they're
doing it.

Until someone draws their attention to it...

Eric Holroyd