[Dixielandjazz] FW: Pricing a band performance:

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Fri Nov 11 09:19:54 PST 2011

Steve Barbone wrote:

>There is no shame in turning a low priced gig down. I fact, you get very
good feeling doing it. Especially to the owner of a venue that makes a lot
of money presenting music.

Depends on how the price was offered or come to.  I'm quite happy to say
goodbye to someone who, upon hearing my price, starts carrying on about who
do I think I am, etc.  However, the pregnant silence after hearing the price
given to a person who is being polite will be treated in a completely
different manner.  I will normally then ask "well, what were you thinking
of?" If they are fairly close to what I mentioned, I can come to an
agreement somewhere between.  If not, I will say we can't do it, but don't
feel particularly good about it.  It would be nice to please, but you can
bend just so far.

It's all in the way things are handled by both parties.

Jim