[Dixielandjazz] Pricing a band performance: was Competing with DJs

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 11 08:49:21 PST 2011

On Nov 11, 2011, at 10:17 AM, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com
wrote:

> Dixiejazzdata <dixiejazzdata at aol.com> (Bart) wrote (polite snip)

>  It's about building a suitable clientele for your musical services
> and then charging accordingly.
>
> The message was simple:  You can start High and always come down,
> but if you start low you can NEVER go UP because you are dealing
> with someone who
> is shopping for price only and has no clue or does not care about
> QUALITY or professionalism.
>
> What Steve was talking about is: so many Dixieland Bands just assume
> that the market will only pay $200 to $500 for a good Band,   and
> that is totally incorrect.  The going rate is not a going rate at
> all.  Except for musicians and band leaders who are willing to
> accept offers from amateur talent buyers who have no clue what a
> living wage even is.
>
> Bandleaders need to be business people first and foremost or they
> will soon be out of business and so will the sidemen, who often know
> even less than bandleaders so have no idea what to even ask for a
> gig.   You are worth what you think you are worth  "IF" you
> establish that fact and stick to it, and raise the price reasonably
> after each successful gig until you get it to an acceptable level to
> make a decent living for your time education and effort.

Amen Bart. Interested band leaders who want to see some suggestions
and also a ton of feedback on the issue of band pricing should visit:
(note especially the comments by various band leaders after the article)

http://diymusician.cdbaby.com/2011/11/4-lessons-on-how-much-to-charge-for-your-performance/?utm_source=DIYNews&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=110811

Bottom line in the business world: Your music is worth what people
will pay to hear it. If you give it away, it is worthless.

Personal examples I know of:

A local 6 piece band charges $700 for a one hour performance. The band
also charges $700 for a 4 hour performance. To me, that's stupid
because on the first gig, the musos are paid $100 an hour and on the
second, $25 an hour. Logic indicates that this band is either
overpriced on the 1 hour gig or underpriced on the 4 hour gig.

Same goes for charging the same rate for a weekday night as on a
Saturday night.

Many OKOM Jazz Festivals (IMO) don't pay a fair wage considering time
and travel required.

Etc., etc. There is no shame in turing a low priced gig down. I fact,
you get very good feeling doing it. Especially to the owner of a venue
that makes a lot of money presenting music.

There are some obvious exceptions. I made one very recently. To play
as a sideman, a gig at a "Gentlemen's Club" for 2 nights in January
2012, for prohibition parties which seem to be the latest craze around
here. Three hours for $110 each. On a Friday and Saturday evening, no
less.  However being a sexy senior citizen, I opted in. Why? See:

http://sohclub.com/the-ladies-of-savannahs/

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband