[Dixielandjazz] Jazz & Classical Music

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 2 08:38:03 PDT 2011

> Marek Boym <marekboym at gmail.com>
>
> Perhaps not all, but many musical compositions may be "jazzed up."
> Duke Ellington arranged "The Nutcracker" for a jazz band; my copy alos
> contains some numbers from "Per Gynt."  Willie the Lion and others
> played Grieg compositions ("Anitra's Dance" comes to mind).  The Jim
> Cullum Band recorded a jazz version of "Porgy and Bess."  I do not
> know the record you've mentioned, but it makes sense.
> But the "turning in his grave" business referred to the quality, I
> guess - this was the weakest track on an otherwise excellent record.

Dear Marek:

I think "turned over in his grave" refers to the feelings of some, now
deceased, composers/conductors who hated jazz and would recoil at
hearing it.

One of those conductors who did not appreciate jazz was Eugene
Ormandy. The maestro hated jazz and jazz musicians. He felt we were
the dregs of society, sleazy half assed musicians, playing
illegitimate music,  etc., etc.

During the time that he conducted the Philadelphia Orchestra, several
musicians had recorded a jazz album. I think it was on the Columbia
label in the late 1970s or early 1980s.

He used his considerable clout to have the record pulled from existing
inventories and the master destroyed so that no more copies could be
made. He then expressly forbid Orchestra musicians from playing jazz
anywhere in future upon pain of immediate firing.

In the late 1990's Glenn Dodson, who Ormandy brought to the orchestra
as principal trombone and Barbone Street were performing a jazz vesper
service at the Old Pine Street Church (founded in 1768) in
Philadelphia. Ormandy and his wife were buried in the old colonial
graveyard there by the maestro's request.

Glenn Walked over to the maestro's grave prior to the service and
said:"Maestro, here I am playing jazz near your burial site. What do
you think of that (expletive deleted) ?"

A few seconds later, there was a lightening flash and a loud rumble of
thunder from an approaching storm. As Glenn and I hurried into the
church to beat the rain  Glenn added: "Well, I guess I got my answer.
He must have turned over in his grave."

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband