[Dixielandjazz] Firehouse Five + Two (was Phil Napolen, and more)

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Tue May 31 05:59:43 PDT 2011

Dear Bill,
On GTJ 33-1, in the lengthy liner notes, there is a reference to
Penner's playing bass saxophone, and there is a picture showing him
with that instrument.  Mrs. Harris and Rust in their "REcorded Jazz: a
Critical Guide" (where the American issue is indeed refered to as GTJ
33-1) mention brass bass only.  On L-2 there is a personnel listing,
and Penner is listed on tuba.
That's all the Firehouse I have - I am not a great fan of the band.
And I still prefer LPs to CDs; actually, at home I listen solely to
LPs and tapes, leaving CDs for the car.  However, I have two CDs with
sound so bland as to require extensive use of bass and treble
controls; to these, I listen at home, as I do not know how to use the
controls on my car CD player, and the large home speakers, too,
improve sound.
With kindest regards