[Dixielandjazz] Firehouse Five + Two (was Phil Napolen, and more)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue May 31 03:16:47 PDT 2011

To Marek's final comment:
>> By the way, the FH5+2 have bass saxophone rather than brass bass.
> I replied
> Yes, Ed Penner did not start using tuba in [should have been 'until'] March 1951.

Dear Marek (and all),
Our band's clarinet player, Jack Wiard, has just taken me to task over this one.
I used 1968 Jepson's discography to check your comment and it confirms your statement, hence my answer.
My Bruyninckx' discography also confirms Jepson.
I have an almost complete collection of the FH5+2 up to March 1960 but, as my early LPs have been replaced by CDs,
I was unable to check the LP covers for instrumentation details (if any).
The YouTube Snader videos show Mr Penner on tuba. I have a separate file date as 15 March 1951 for these, so that does not help us much.
The next step was to use my ears.
There seems to be a bass on the first tune, "Firehouse Stomp" from the first session, 13 May 1949, but bass sax on "Blues My Naughty Sweetie..." (both takes), "Fireman's Lament"and "San".
For the second session, 8 October 1949, I hear "Brass Bell" (tuba), "Everybody Loves My Baby" (bssx), "Red Hot River Valley" (tuba), "Riverside Blues" (tuba).
Then to 18 February 1950. "The World Is Waiting...", etc. All tuba.
20 July 1950. "Down Where The Sun Goes Down", etc. All tuba.
10 October 1950. "12th Street Rag", etc. All tuba.
9 March 1951. "Lonesome Mama Blues", etc. All tuba.
12 June 1951. ""Show Me The Way To The Fire", etc. All tuba.
20 May 1952. "Lonesome Railroad Blues", etc. All tuba.
From here on, the discographal references to bass sax stop.
Phew!
Can someone please check the 1949-51 Good Time Jazz LPs  (10" L-1, 2, 6 &16 and 12" L-12010, 12011 & 12012) for me to see if there are any specific references to Ed Penner and bass sax.
If you don't agree with my above observations, at least you will (like me) have had fun relistening to this fine happy band of jazzmen.
Very kind regards,
Bill.