[Dixielandjazz] Moldy Fig (was Phil Napolen, and more)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon May 30 21:11:06 PDT 2011

Listmate Bob Brodsky has taken me to task. Again:

> Bill:  Again, I must warn you about mixed metaphors: It's either "Moldy Figs" or "Mouldy Figges" !

Dear Bob,
And you are probably right regarding the original spelling.
But a mixed metaphor?
Not by my definition.
It's also a matter of Australian English vs American English for the word "mouldy/moldy".
The word "figge/fygge" in its jazz connotation was a later addition.
There was even a US 78rpm label called Mouldie Fygge (note spelling).
Years ago, I had a copy of MF 100 featuring Trixie Smith.
Refer also:
   http://www.mgthomas.co.uk/dancebands/Labels/LabelPhotos/Mouldie-Fygge.jpg
The original "Moldy Fig" reference (note spelling) goes back to Esquire magazine (March, 1945, Volume 23, No.3), page 10 ('The Sound and The Fury' its letters from readers column) and a letter "Home Thoughts from Abroad" signed by Moldy Fig, France.
Apparently a serviceman, then based in a country called France.
Claimed (incorrectly, I believe) by Leonard Feather to be Sam Platt.
Refer his 1986 book 'The Jazz Years' (page 88 on) for the full story.
This one was discussed on the DJML back in 2003.
Refer:
     http://ml.islandnet.com/pipermail/dixielandjazz/2003-July/011480.html
So, to be correct we should all spell it Moldy Fig.
But old spelling habits die hard.
*>)
Very kind regards,
Bill.