[Dixielandjazz] FW: Repeated solos

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat May 28 07:16:43 PDT 2011

Steve Voce wrote:
>the giants, who we saw as improvisers in the grasp of unstoppable and
continually renewed inspiration, could be so crass as to repeat the same
programme twice in one night, to say nothing of at every concert throughout
a tour.

So far in this discussion the aim has been "the greats".  I somehow can't
imagine even the greats being "in the grasp of unstoppable and continually
renewed inspiration"!  In fact, it is most likely just the opposite if they
are playing steadily.

Anyone that plays regularly will find it an effort to remember to try
something new, not to get stuck in the groove, even if it is a groovy one.
It is the only way to keep the music fresh, thereby keeping yourself & your
bandmates fresh.  Otherwise, it just becomes a job.

Where's the fun if that little lick at the end of a mate's solo is the same
each time.  The fun comes when he/she surprises you & gives you a kick-start
for your own following solo.

Nope!  Not in agreement with "same" solos, even if created by someone great.

Jim