[Dixielandjazz] Ghost Monk

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Wed May 25 12:28:31 PDT 2011

I should imagine Monk is more difficult than most because his fingering is
pretty well unique. He may well have started along lines similar to his amateur
barrelhouse pianist father, but I know at least one veteran classically trained
professional whose reverence for Monk is tempered by a preference for Bud Powell
doing the piano-playing.

Genuine blues and barrelhouse pianists are the easiest to misrepresent, with the
exception of the venerable and glorious Bob Seeley, who spent his youth in
prudent association with Meade Lux Lewis.   Just in case anybody hasn't heard of
the upright grand old man.

His phrasing isn't stiffened by stock legit fingering.

The problem with playing notes off a page is missing the timing and phrasing and
staying closer rather to the page than the musicm and it's all intensely complex
far beyond visible registration. It has to do with anatomy too, and to look at
Louis' medical history is to suspect that some of his inimitability derives from
his having done a few things wrong.

And they weren't wrong because unorthodox but because they harmed his health.
Of course a more approximate version of Louis' timing and phrasing is generally
called jazz.