[Dixielandjazz] Ghost Ellington

Bert Brandsma mister_bertje at hotmail.com
Mon May 23 23:05:16 PDT 2011

To me, Ellington (and his team of co-workers) is one of the, if not THE greatest composer in 20th century music. (Not Jazz music, but music, period).
The music deserves to be played. Of course it is almost impossible to get exact the same as the original records. His soloists were the best in the business and working fulltime.
That however doesn't mean it shouldn't be played. Mozart's music nowadays sounds quite different from how it was in it's own time, but it is good that it is still played.
The reasons why it sounds different are obvious, different people, different instruments, even different mutes. (example, Tricky Sam Nanton's mute inside the bell mute is not available anymore in it's original form).
I was very happy to play some of the 20's - 30's pieces with the current Chris Barber band. Some of the greatest music I ever played!
Kind regards
Bert Brandsma