[Dixielandjazz] Ghost Ellington

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Mon May 23 20:15:49 PDT 2011

I heard what might have been Mercer Ellington's swansong band, after reading
various accounts of different Mercer-led ghost Duke bands, and hearing some
recordings. The best recordings were full of guest soloists, there were lots of
complaints to the effect that the band was only any good when Mercer made an
effort, which in retrospect means I think when circumstances permitted.  The
last Mercer band I heard live because it was in Europe, and I suppose that had
something to do with economics and hiring very good musicians who could work
together.  I taped a broadcast of one of the continental gigs by the same band,
and very decent that sounded too.

After some time Paul Ellington brought a band across, and the late Ken Gallacher
and I were rejoicing in the music. I was reminded of the first time I saw the
real band, most of all I think because Paul's ensemble played much the same
repertoire, Far East Suite period with a lot from c. 1966-67 compositions
programmed -- Isfahan etc.
. I forget exactly what Ellington-repertoire English band I heard a few years
back at an Edinburgh Jazz Festival gala concert, but what was interesting was
the probable relation between the satisfactory quality of the music and the fact
that it was a 1945-47 Ellington band.  Both these post-Mercer performances
focussed on being a specific Ellington band, and another interesting thing about
the Paul Ellington ensemble was that other in a blues closer with token solo for
all, the baritone player was confined to section work.  There were no mere
try-er exercises, the bands or leaders had found out what they could do, and set
to have fun doing it very well.
Like Chris Barber
For that, it is essential to have a lot of repertoire to choose from

The bad ghost of any band simply tries to do it again sham...
too much for people too happy to think it is being done at all ...