[Dixielandjazz] Sac. Jazz Fest. & Jubilee

Nancy Giffin nancyink1 at gmail.com
Wed May 18 01:42:57 PDT 2011

To Kaye and my dear list mates,

It is easy to see look upon a stage production and forget there is a
backstage making it happen.  Major events like the Sac. Jazz Fest. &
Jubilee do not happen by magic, although, after watching our new Exec.
Director Greg Willett in action, I am coming to believe he is some
kind of a magician. I admire and support him 100%.

This is Greg's first year as Exec. Director, and he has faced more
adversity than you can imagine. He is a trooper; a champ. I would not
fault him for any balls that may have dropped while juggling
appointments and meetings with potential sponsors, Jubilee managers,
staff, volunteers, marketing pros, musicians, STJS members, and
countless others demanding his time. He is but one man -- ONE man --
and fortunately for us, he is an incredibly capable one.

FACT: These are recession years. Logically, we have fewer sets now,
which means fewer spots available for music and special events.  Quite
simply, that means fewer bands and events.

Mike Johnson and Big Mama Sue will back me up when I say that we did
try to make the Bill Gunter Memorial Washboard Concert happen this
year, but there was nowhere to put it that worked in conjunction with
the rest of the festival. Keep in mind there are over 400 sets, not
just this one washboard concert.

To those on the list who have never been to the Sac. Jazz Fest. &
Jubilee, I would like to add that for every 5 complaints on this list,
there are thousands and thousands of happy jazz fans reveling in
Sacramento every Memorial Day Weekend.

Though some may grieve that the event has changed, it is still bigger
and better, with more music and more bang for your buck than any trad.
festival I know of.  Rather than focus on the past, one can truly
marvel at the hundreds of young players inspired by this event and
other STJS events and education programs. To the future, my friends,
to the future. Jazz lives. May good jazz vibes surround you always.
Come say hello if you see me at the festival!

Cheers,
Nancy

http://www.sacjazz.com