[Dixielandjazz] Here's an even better job offer

Bert Brandsma mister_bertje at hotmail.com
Mon May 16 22:12:20 PDT 2011

Bart,
In a way I used to agree with what you state here, but I do not 100% stand behind this vision anymore nowadays.Players like Beiderbecke, Adrian Rollini, Jack Teagarden brought something new to the music, and were creatively as capable as any of the black musicians of their days.
Take for instance the famous recording of Copenhagen by Fletcher Henderson, with Louis on trumpet, it is great, but Bix did it before.
Rollini was also very unique, what player can you mention that played more creative, swinging and original bass lines then he on his bass saxophone? He was an inspiration even to Coleman Hawkins on his tenor.
Then there was in Jack Teagarden days no other trombone player regardless of skin color, that was such an original improvisor.
Another example is the Benny Goodman big band. What the trumpet section is offering at 1938 Carnegy hall, I mean the first concert, there was no other section at that time that could match it.
Also listen to Oh, Lady be Good, the video version of Artie Shaw with Buddy Rich on drums (see dailymotion) , it even outswings the early Basie band in it's heyday!
That is not to deny that to my ears the biggest figures in jazz history are Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington and Charlie Parker, but stating that only black jazz is good/original and white players only do a cheaper imitation is unfair.
Kind regards,
Bert Brandsma