[Dixielandjazz] addendum to Goldkette stable thread

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Sat May 14 13:07:16 PDT 2011

I forgot an important member of the stellar group of players who worked
with Goldkette units. That was Russ Morgan.
Russ was, as dad always noted, a well-trained musician and arranger and
in fact did orchestrations for the Detroit Symphony. Dad, who was a very
tallented artist, had a beautiful hand for copying parts, and Russ would
hire him to copy the parts from his scores. Dad somtimes laughed when he
said "scores," since Russ would toss off a page at a time for Red to
extract parts to copy, and never seemed to have a full score on hand at
one time, yet they would play perfectly. Russ would toss over a page of
the score and dad would copy parts while they were sitting at a kitchen
table sipping something from the Canadian side of the Detroit River.
Somehow the scores were written and parts were copied, but the bootleg
era sauce would no doubt curl the toenails back on the uninitiated.
I am sure that my 80-year-old skull will dredge up another name or two
before long, but right now I am having my one allowable dram per day of
single malt and the siren call of the usque baugh calleth me hence.
Aberlour it is today - Highland Park tomorrow. Something to look forward to.
Slainte,
Don