[Dixielandjazz] NOJ& H Fest-- drummer Hal Smith writes

Steve Gilmore stevegilmorebass at gmail.com
Wed May 11 07:35:14 PDT 2011

Had Many experiences simular to that over the years. One of the more
memorable was playing with Phil Woods at the George wein's Nice jazz
festivalin the 80s. By that time there wasn't much regular jazz but we
were one of 3 bands playing in a large field. We were playing at the
same time as "Fats Domino" and you would hear his set very clearly -
especially during the bass solos. Of course quotes like " I got my
thrill on blueberry hill were rife thoughout our improvisation as
expected. the old expression " you can put jazz anywhere" fits very
nicely ( excuse the pun ) here.
               Steve Gilmore