[Dixielandjazz] NOJ& H Fest-- drummer Hal Smith writes

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Wed May 11 07:13:04 PDT 2011

To:  Musicians & Jazzfans list; DJML

From: Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

Veteran drummer Hal Smith writes about his experience in performing at NOJ&H
Fest.  Thanks Hal.

For the few on this list who are unfamiliar with Hal and his career:  He's a
California native who lived and worked over a decade in NO performing with
traditional groups.  Then was executive with the Traditional Jazz Society in
San Diego-America's Finest City Dixieland  Jazz Society ( hope I got that
right-always a tongue and finger-twister)  Then had a stint with Jim Cullum
band in San Antonio.  He a train buff and jazz historian.  His brief jazz
historical pieces in the AFCDJS newsletter are treasures.  Hal's musical
friend frequently call him back to NO to perform.  He's opened the French
Quarter fest with Pete Fountain and others in previous years.  The American
Rag had a piece about his in past few months on occasion of his departure
from Jim Cullum Band-(primary reason--needed to rest/ rehabilitate  his
shoulder)