[Dixielandjazz] Ken Burns, Bill Charlap and Claire Martin interviewed

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Fri May 6 09:43:11 PDT 2011

Ken Burns, Bill Charlap and Claire Martin interviewed

Soaking Up a Fertile Music Era
by Will Friedwald
Wall Street Journal, May 5, 2011

It's no accident, the filmmaker Ken Burns said recently, that "the period of Prohibition
is an era that we also call the Jazz Age." Just as the manufacture of spirits, which
were banned in this country between 1920 and 1933, entails a process of fermentation,
so do politics, morality and culture dissolve into their own potent blend of art
and creativity.
Mr. Burns's latest documentary, "Prohibition," won't air until the fall, but this
weekend Jazz at Lincoln Center will illustrate how American music benefited from
such decidedly non-musical concepts as prohibition and fermentation. >From Thursday
through Saturday, Wynton Marsalis will lead his Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra
in "Prohibition and the Jazz Age," a program celebrating 1920s jazz icons such as
Louis Armstrong and Bix Beiderbecke. Across the hall in the Allen Room on Friday
and Saturday, pianist Bill Charlap will present an all-star band featuring the British
jazz singer Claire Martin in "Songs of the Jazz Age."
It's arguable that the "dry" years brought on by the advent of the 18th Amendment
were the most productive in all of American music: Both jazz and the American popular
song made amazing strides in these years, and blues and country music equally so.
Mr. Burns noted that this was in part because the years of Prohibition were, of course,
hardly dry at all. "Prohibition and jazz are not absolutely cause and effect -- jazz
had already been born in New Orleans without the prohibition of alcohol," Mr. Burns
said. "However, alcohol is an accelerant, and it was a kind of accelerant on the
music."
Indeed, Mr. Charlap pointed out, with the rise of speakeasies in 1920s came a parallel
rise in tempos and rhythms. "The '20s is the time when you start hearing real American
music," he said. "What is it about those songs that makes them so American? They
swing! And what is it about jazz that makes it so American? It swings. Think of the
opening notes of 'Rhapsody in Blue' -- nothing is more American than that."
It was in the aftermath of World War I that the nation was eager to blow off steam;
yet just when everyone was in the mood to party, Congress passed the Volstead Act,
outlawing liquor. If Americans obeyed the law, the celebration would be a rather
boring one. "It was when America spread its wings and took a stand, and announced
that it was now party time," Mr. Charlap said. Breaking the law made merry-making
even more fun -- now there was an illicit thrill attached to drinking. The "criminal
element," as Mr. Charlap put it, made boozing it up more attractive.
Mr. Burns includes in his film a wide range of music, from period songs about Prohibition
and drinking -- like the pioneering country artist Charlie Poole picking and singing
"If the River Was Whiskey" and Cole Porter's "Let's Misbehave" -- to classics like
Louis Armstrong's "Melancholy" and Bix Beiderbecke's "Blue River."
"In America," the filmmaker said, "we swing between the extremes of prurience and
puritanism with no middle ground. When have one extreme, it's almost a given that
the other will then come in to help provide some balance." That balance is also achieved
in how he tells the story of prohibition. "Most filmmakers do the music as an afterthought,
but we record our music in advance, even before we've begun editing, so that the
music has the same influence as the still photographs or the interviews or the narration."
To be sure, jazz and American vernacular music were not isolated occurrences: Across
the spectrum of the arts and sciences, Mr. Burns stressed, "everybody was making
a similar quantum leap," from Igor Stravinsky to Albert Einstein. Yet it can't be
a coincidence that the 1920s was the first great decade of jazz -- on records certainly
-- as well as of the American popular song. There are possibly a dozen songs in circulation
from the 1910s, but hundreds upon hundreds of standards -- songs still being widely
performed today -- were written during the Prohibition years.
Ms. Martin she said that as she prepared for her Allen Room show, she realized, "I
just thought of songs like 'Blue Skies' and 'Tea for Two' as familiar parts of the
standard library. I never realized that they went back so far. I had no idea that
they had a life before Ella Fitzgerald."

--Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
530/ 642-9551 Office
916/ 806-9551 Cell
Amateur (Ham) Radio K6YBV

Paddy says "Mick, I'm thinking of buying a German Shepherd."
"Are you crazy," says Mick, "Have you seen how many of their owners go blind?"