[Dixielandjazz] 1919 Rag - Rifle Rangers March

Jim O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Sun May 1 19:52:13 PDT 2011

Stephen G Barbone wrote:

> According to Jon Erik Kellso, when they were playing the song, John
>Gill told him that the 1919 Rag was lifted from a March written in
>1910. The  title of that March is Rifle Rangers March. Composer is
>listed as Karl L. King.

However, if you go back to the original note in this thread, posted by John
Gill on Friday, you'll see that he wrote:

> > Over the years I've tried to find out the origins of "1919 Rag" or
> > "1919 March" if you will. It sounds way more like a march than a rag
> > to me, but it does rag well. There was some talk started about 10
> > years or so ago that it was really a march called "Rifle Rangers
> > March". Karl King wrote this march in 1911 so it seemed to be a
> > likely candidate. However, the "Rifle Rangers March" is still
> > available and so I checked it out and I'm sorry to report that
> > "1919" and "Rifle Rangers" are not the same tunes.

John Gill and his "Yerba Buena Stompers" played this tune at the San Diego
festival last Thanksgiving. After that set, I was visiting with the Yerba
Buena pianist, Marty Eggers, and he told me that folks thought that "1919"
was taken from "Rifle Rangers." The following Monday, I telephoned C. L.
Barnhouse Publishing in Oskaloosa, IA, who published almost all of Karl
King's stuff, and ordered a copy of the score. When it arrived, I scanned it
and emailed a copy to Marty; he and I agree that "1919" and "Rifle Rangers"
are two very different tunes. I'm assuming that Marty has given a copy of
the "Rifle Rangers" score to John Gill, and he has now come to the same
conclusion.

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA
Tuba & Leader, The Zinfandel Stompers