[Dixielandjazz] 1919 Rag - Rifle Rangers March

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun May 1 17:31:07 PDT 2011

According to Jon Erik Kellso, when they were playing the song, John
Gill told him that the 1919 Rag was lifted from a March written in
1910. The  title of that March is Rifle Rangers March. Composer is
listed as Karl L. King.

If you go to the below you tube you can hear the Yerba Buena Stompers
playing it. Jon Erik is on trumpet and John Gill on banjo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMiD9RILIrw

In the expanded info about the tune, note the following exchange:

"The song title is ~ "Somebody please tell me NOW!"

"Well, Jon-Erik Kellso volunteered the info below - -"

"Hi --
The title of this is "1919 Rag." The original title was "Rifle
Ranger's March."
This from John Gill himself--I had to ask--I did not remember, either,
so don't feel bad!
Cheers,
Jon-Erik Kellso"

Cheers,