[Dixielandjazz] Bechet "St. Louis Blues" on youtube.

Marvin Ipswich cornet at clearwire.net
Sun May 1 00:50:02 PDT 2011

The clip of Sidney playing "St. Louis Blues" is a perfect example of what a
fabulous musician he was and how great he sounded on soprano. Even better is
the clip of him doing his composition "Premier Bal" with Claude Bollling's
orchestra. I'm always mystified by people that don't like his soprano
playing. It inspired Johnny Hodges!!

I noted in the clip that Andre Rewelioty's trumpet players weren't all the
comfortable playing in "G." ;-)

My two favorite jazz videos are "Premier Bal" and Louis playing with Johnny
Cash. I think because they were actual  live performances and not "synched,"
as many of the jazz films were.

There's a nice version of Sidney playing "Passport from Paradise" in the
French biopic that was done some years ago. I think it was from a French
murder mystery of the 1950s - I don't recall the title, but I'm sure someone
will jog my memory...

Cheers,
Marvin