[Dixielandjazz] Gold Digger Stomp

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Mar 29 22:06:54 PDT 2011

Stan Brager wrote [in part]:
> In a new, for me, CD called "New York Jazz in the Roaring Twenties, Volume
> 1" there's a cut by Joe Herlihy & His Orchestra called "Gold Digger Stomp".... recorded on Aug 24, 1927. The personnel were drawn from the Gene Goldkette organisation..... trombonist Bill Rank who seems to start a solo when he shouldn't because he doesn't finish it. He solos nicely later on. My question: is this really an example of a solo in the wrong place or there another explanation?

Dear Stan,
Sorry about the delay in replying. I'm still catching up.
That Biograph CD (BCD 129) has been in my collection for ages and I had noticed that trombone intrusion at about 1.45.
The source disc was an Edison test pressing.
All was revealed in 2006 when Jazz Oracle (the wonderful Canadian reissue label) issued the three extant unissued 'takes' on CD - 'Edison Hot Dance Obscurities' (BDW 8052).
The intrusion occurs at the same place (after the interlude) on both takes A and B, but it becomes a full, but tentative, solo on take - C. The second trombone solo occurs on all three takes.
Bill Rank on a bad day?
The other unissued tune on the first day was "Bye-Bye Pretty Baby". It was remade on 16 September 1927 and released on Edison 52098.
Jazz Oracle has suggested Jerry Colona or Bill Rank as the trombonist involved on both dates but Joe Moore's excellent notes suggest that the regular Herlihy band only used three musicians from the Goldkette stable.
My ears tell me that it is Bill Rank who solos on the remake of "Bye-Bye Pretty Baby", but is not him on the rejected side from 24 August 1927.
Mr Moore also noted that "Gold Digger Stomp" was rejected because the Edison executives did not like it.
It was replaced by "Rolling Around In Roses" at the remake session.
Very kind regards,
Bill.