[Dixielandjazz] Smithsonian Anthology

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Mar 29 19:45:00 PDT 2011

RICHARD PEARL wrote:
> Steve is correct - what ever can further the cause is a good idea. The Smithsonian has to sell CD's and a lot of what's on them is appealing to the new (however big it is) audience. Just the fact that they are issuing it will help stimulate (some) peoples interest and maybe purchase and maybe the desire to hear more - live!

Dear Friends,
I agree.
But here we go again.
*>)
The original thread was side-tracked overnight with practically no discussion regarding its contents.
Led by Steve (Barbone), Marek and now Rich.
My initial email regarding the new Smithsonian/Folkways 6-CD set was critical of the selection of recorded material and suggested that it was a waste of funds, time and effort by the five-person executive committee and its contributing 'experts'.
That was all.
How much more interesting, appealing and financially successful this "compendium of the great American musical invention, [tracing] the turning points of this 20th-century tale through its legendary innovators and notable styles" may have been if it was more representative and even-handed.
Apart from the comments in the reviews provided by Bob Ringwald, and Rich Pearl who dismissed my opinion as "nonsense', no one has discussed the all-important content of this new 6-CD set.
How many listmates have checked out the full Folkways track listing?
   http://www.folkways.si.edu/jazz/
And this is already being hailed as the next 'standard text' for national US courses in jazz appreciation.
At least Ken Burns came closer to getting it right.
Kind regards,
Bill (the mouldy old dude).