[Dixielandjazz] Improvising 101

Martin D. McKay macjazz at comcast.net
Mon Mar 28 09:00:32 PDT 2011

I've posted this before but will run it this second time as there seems to
be lots of interest right now.

As a school band director, I had great success teaching improvisation and
ended up with lots of kids who could do it at one level or another.  I got
the basic premise from Clark Terry and developed into a series of lessons in
connection with the Jr High band.  The idea is to limit the number of
variables as much as possible. Get the first level down pat.  (not just
"doing it" or even just "good."  Get the single note thing where they are
making comprehensive ideas that hold together.  The solo must have an
improvised beginning, a middle, and an end etc. before you move on to the
next level.
Here are some of them basic ideas, all played on one note.

	What can you vary using just one note:
		Duration
		Patterns
		Tone
		Pitch bending
		Dynamic(s)
		(add what you would)

I would have them kids compete for the best (most interesting) solo they
could devise just using one note
I would also have student B "pick up" them solo from student A and show how
he/she would further elaborate on some specific aspect of it, etc.
I spent a lot of time (several sessions) just using one note

I would then lay down a blues chord progression (in any key) and let them
improvise on "whatever single note sounded good" as I played each chord.

Next they could play two notes with a chord (remember, we are working these
in different keys all the time.)

Eventually, we added fill notes between them "chordal notes" and lo and
behold they had a blues solo.

You developed from there based on them ability of the kids you were working
with.

Worked for me!

Mart

Martin D. McKay, Designated listener