[Dixielandjazz] Diary of an Improviser

Allan Brown allanbrown at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Mar 25 02:44:09 PDT 2011

Larry,

I'm intrigued as to how you, or indeed anyone, pulls a solo out of the ether as it were. Is this something that you've arrived at having learnt scales, arpeggios, licks etc. over many years or is this how you've always done it. I'm very much a beginner, I've been playing the clarinet for just a couple of years now, and I really struggle to play even a basic solo. I've got a couple of play-a-long type books, my favourite being a collection of Louis Armstrong tunes, or tunes that he made his own as it were, and another called "From Dixie to Swing" by the Dick Wellstood All-Stars, which I enjoy listening to - all the more if I'm not playing over it!

I can read and play the melody (the head) okay, with much practise, but as soon as it comes to the solo spot I'm lost at sea. The best I can do at the moment is to pick notes from the arpeggios of each chord as they fly past and with a few lucky accidents occasionally string together a few bars that sounds vaguely musical and interesting. The trouble is the chords fly by so fast that I just can't process all the information before the next one is upon me. I just don't know the best way to practise or what I should be concentrating my efforts on in order to make some progress.

I just did my Grade 4 a couple of days ago, the classical system that most people learning an instrument go through, and that's really helped my learn to read music and ensures that I'm gradually building up a knowledge of scales and arpeggios, but doesn't really help one as far as jazz soloing goes. At least I haven't cracked how to apply this fledgling knowledge to the mystery of soloing. I fear that there is just an innate musicality that some possess and others, like me, just don't - however much we try - but even so I refuse to give up! Ear training seems to be the key component, but again I don't really know how to go about doing this effectively.

If any of you pros have any crumbs of wisdom that you care to share, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Sorry to go on, but on another note, do any of you have any information on the Dick Wellstood All-Stars. Were they assembled to record this play-a-long project, or were they an actual band of longstanding? I've heard mention of the various players numerous times on this list, especially Kenny Davern, 'Doc' Cheatham and George Duvivier but I can't recall mention of the Dick Wellstood All-Stars. It's a joy to listen to and one of just a few Dixieland style albums I possess. I'd love to hear more, if they recorded anything else.

Thanks for your time.

Best,

Allan Brown