[Dixielandjazz] Diary of an Improviser

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Mar 24 22:54:24 PDT 2011

I too enjoyed reading the piece but nothing of the sort is running through
my mind when I improvise.  No wonder a lot of guys sound like they are
reading an Arbin's book on their solos.

When I improvise it just happens.  How and why it happens I haven't a clue.
What I do know is that it's akin to a Zen state where everything goes away
including the horn.  I also know that there is an adrenalin rush because I
can't sleep after many of my jobs  and I have to unwind afterwards.  It used
to bother my wife a lot.

I don't think key or scales however I am locked into the sound of the chord
progression and where it's going. I do think rhythm sometimes or more
accurately feel it.  That way I can lock into what a drummer is doing.  It
makes for some interesting give and take.  Knowing the tune helps but it
isn't 100% required.  If I stopped and thought about any one of the things
in the paper I couldn't do what I do.

I think it is a great analysis of what might go on but it looks like a
recipe for technically correct but mechanical playing.  There's too many of
those around right now.

Improvisation is composition on the fly and IMHO shouldn't have a cook book
approach.

There is a young lady who is now a freshman at a very well known school in
Texas with a great music program.  She is technically proficient and reads
like crazy.  She is also awfully nice to look at but when she solos I want
to cry.  Every note is correct but mechanical and tears my soul out.  When
she is done her dad and others tell her how well she did and encourage her
because after all she's a very nice young lady.  She walks away thinking she
did jazz.  A twist on the whole thing is that her dad knows better.  The
really sad thing is that she will graduate and go out and teach kids to do
the same thing.

I was playing in a band and a trumpet player got up to solo.  He sprayed
notes by the zillion - he was fast.  It was the only time that I ever in my
whole life heard a guy play a solo and hit exactly every note wrong.  The
closest thing that I can think of is that he was a half beat off and because
he was thinking scales and all that other stuff what he was playing didn't
line up and was basically 180 degrees out of phase.  The part that amazes me
is that he didn't know it.  This guy should have been in the Guinness book
of records but it probably wasn't a record.
Larry
StL