[Dixielandjazz] Band Loyalty

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 24 15:01:16 PDT 2011

>  "Jim Kashishian" <jim at kashprod.com> wrote (polite snip)
>
> Cooperation, understanding & respect go along way in business....IF
> you're
> dealing with good people!   :>

Amen Jim, you nailed it.

I should clarify that Barbone Street is several different bands
depending upon venue and show theme. For example, when we do our
January New Orleans Funerals for the previous year at Unitarian
Churches, we use 3 different players from those who normally work in
our six piece band.

Different trombone, banjo instead of amplified guitar, and tuba
instead of string bass. We also do several other New Orleans Marching
band themes with this lineup. Much different sound for a much
different show.

And sometimes I double or triple book dates. A couple of times I even
had 6 different bands booked on Mardi Gras under the Name Barbone
Street. The "A" band with the usual suspects in our usual venue and
the other bands venues that most likely did not have audiences that
ever heard the A" band and so there was no expectation of a particular
sound. All they wanted was good Dixieland.

When I double book now I am always careful to state that the band at
the second location is not the usual suspects and give the venue the
option of booking some other band. In every case so far, the venues
have asked if the band will be a good one and I have answered yes. So
they booked it and were quite satisfied because there is a wealth of
GREAT players to chose from. Simple as that.

And I have my small amount of band followers on an email list so when
multiple booking, I tell them where the "A" band will be and who is in
the band at the second location in case they want a change of pace.

Kind of like Derf Nolde, who I mentioned previously. Whether or not he
had Orange Kellin, Kenny Davern, or Joe Midiri on clarinet for a gig
under his name: Derf Nolde and The Keystone Five,  made precious
little difference to the audience that day. The regular followers of
that band were tickled pink to see any one of them. Of course when it
was me, there might have been some disappointment.

But even then, the audience got over it. One of the most musically
exciting gigs I ever played at the Temperence house was when Derf and
the regular bass player were booked somewhere else for a high paying
gig. The house band was then me on clarinet, Randy Reinhart on cornet,
Glenn Dodson on trombone, John Coates Jr. on piano, Charles Fambrough
on bass and Tony Di Nicola on drums. We had never played together as a
band before, yet it was magic and the audience of regulars loved it.

Like Jim said, cooperation, understanding and respect.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband