[Dixielandjazz] band loyalty

Joe Hopkins jazzclarinet at cox.net
Thu Mar 24 12:00:31 PDT 2011

This is an interesting topic. My band (52nd Street Jazz Band) works a lot and rarely rehearses. But in the 10 years we have been playing together we have gradually worked out special arrangements or routines for many songs. (we don't use any music) I will release a musician who gets a high paying gig and use a sub but it really limits what we can do. The sub just doesn't know the material and how we normally play it. We do have a following here in the Phoenix area and they definately know when we have a sub and always come up and ask where our "regular" is. I rarely take a gig if it means having to use two subs in the band......when that happens then we are just having a jam session when we play. All of my musicians (including me) play in several other bands so it makes booking my band a bit of a challenge ... that is why I book a lot of gigs 8 to 12 months out. I have three weekly gigs that we have had for years, another gig two fridays a month and another gig once a month. Our fans expect to see & hear my regulars on these gigs.

Joe Hopkins
www.joehopkins.org