[Dixielandjazz] Band loyalty, Treatment of Subs

domitype domitype at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 14:25:14 PDT 2011

Absolutely !

When I sub with a long running group I like to know little things a band usually does special with a song -  starting key (and key changes, if any) trick breaks, verses or stop-times, especially if "non-traditional) where a vocal usually happens, if they expect tuba solo at some point (or not) - things like that... Makes the song go better, especially if the band is just playing from a lead sheet or by head.

I try to tell any new sub we have those things if I can, before the song starts.

Dave Richoux