[Dixielandjazz] Band loyalty, Treatment of Subs

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 12:27:58 PDT 2011

As most of you know I am not  a musician but there was a time back in the
60s when I was in a position to hire bands for numerous social and
fund-raising events for my fire department and subsequently the incorporated
village in which I resided.

I remember one particular night when I had hired a trio for one of our
"members only" parties upstairs over the fire apparatus floor.

I had made the arrangements by way of a pianist at a local pub as,he gave me
a dirt cheap price and I took a gamble.

As the other musicans arrived, (I believe a horn or reeds man and drummer,
no string bass)it was apparent that they had never played together as I saw
the pianist introducing them to each other.

I was perhaps somewhat annoyed that he didn't tell me that what he would be
supplying me with was a "pickup band" but I decided to just grin and bear
it.

Somewhere into the evening (as I was prone to do on numerous occasions) I
got up and sang.  I happen to remember that it was "It's A Sin to Tell a
Lie" cause I went through the whole Somethin' Smith thing with "cross my
heart and I hope to die,, etc.). then invited the rest of the crowd to join
me in the final chorus.

When it was over, I turned to the musicians and thanked them, commenting,
"Damn, you guys sounded better than you've sounded all night.  What
happened?"

I think it might have been the drummer who replied, "Well, Johnny told us
that you're the one who does the hiring so if we ever want to come back
again we'd better sound good while you were singing".

I had to admire him for his honesty but can't say that I ever had Johnny
supply me with musicians for any future occasion.

I got brave the next time a special occasion came around, and spent at least
3 times what had ever been spent before for a band, hiring the Smith Street
Society Jazz Band...and their appearance spiralled into much work for them
through the Coucil on the Arts in the Township where we lived.

Of course, "Mr. Nice Guy" aka "Mr. Dummy" never took any commission on any
of the Township work which I understand went on for years beyond my
leaving NY.

For years, the township and for that matter the county hsd been pretty much
a Republican stronghold.. When they were unseated by the Democrats one
election year, the key man on the Council was ousted and the band was as
well (after a minimum of 4 to 5 outdoor gigs each summer at what I was told
was well above union scale)

I guess if I was ever really pre-occupied with money, I might have regrets,
but that has never really been the case

Tides
HC.

--
Didja evah wonder why there are more horses' asses than there are
horses?