[Dixielandjazz] Band Regulars vs Rotation of members

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 24 09:39:45 PDT 2011

Interesting opinions on regular band members.

For a listening experience of how well irregulars can swing together
check out Jon Erik Kellso on You Tube. He calls the Band the Ear
Regulars, however they are a rotating group. And they swing their
collective asses off no matter who is in the band. Note the different
members on the collection of you tubes at:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Jon%20Erik%20Kellso%20Earregulars&search=Search&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&spell=1

Regarding band followers. Yes, of course we all have some followers.
But who among us in the USA has more than 100 real followers who
follow them to all the venues they play?

Not many, I suspect, otherwise those OKOM jazz Festivals  here would
be a lot better attended.

Now, if a band does a lot of intricate arrangements, perhaps some want
to see the same members. But then again, Vince Giordano does just fine
with the Nighthawks using subs who can cut the charts.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband