[Dixielandjazz] Band Loyalty

Beth Schweitzer beth at portafortuna.com
Thu Mar 24 07:19:35 PDT 2011

Just to add my two cents from a listener's point of view:

I think it depends on:

a) if the band plays and is known for intricate arrangements, or if they
play more standard arrangements that most professionals are familiar
with

b) how much the band is identified by the individual players, and if the
replacements are for key front-liners or not, and how many subs there
are

c) the caliber of the subs, of course

If I went to see the St. Louis Rivermen, and  Red Lehr was not there, or
Cornet Chop Suey and Brian Casserly was not there or the Nighthawks and
Vince Giordano was not there, etc., I would be highly disappointed.

By the same token, if Red was there but Noel Kaletsky was not, I would
still be disappointed, but depending on the replacement would still
enjoy the group, I'm sure. When Dave Tatrow replaced Steve Lilley at a
recent festival I was disappointed to not see Steve, and the chemistry
was very different from the usual Rivermen experience, but it was still
very enjoyable and a supplied a fresh twist on some of the numbers. But
if both Noel and Steve had been replaced I think it would start to feel
like a pick-up band instead of the Rivermen.

Note I said pick-up band and not jammers - two very different things. I
think of jammers as mostly amateurs who are sometimes quite talented but
not regular players. Pick up bands however are usually professionals who
play often in other bands but get together for some reason to play with
a group that maybe has never played together before. If they stick to
pretty standard arrangements and are capable of following a good leader,
they can sound as if they've been playing together for years and no one
in the audience is any the wiser.

And yes, Steve, there are fans who follow certain bands. I obviously
follow the Rivermen, and also Chop Suey and the St. Louis Stompers to
some extent. I will also go to a festival based on which bands are
there. I will look to see which festivals the Rivermen are playing and
then choose from them based on the other bands - Bob Schulz is a big
draw for me, as are the Nighthawks, and in the past, Buck Creek.

But back to Bob's original point - if all but the leader of a band were
subbed, I as an audience member would feel slighted unless the sum of
the subs was greater than the individual parts.

Cheers,
Beth Schweitzer
St. Louis