[Dixielandjazz] FW: Band Loyalty

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu Mar 24 07:08:28 PDT 2011

Steve wrote:
>I don't think anyone who ever went there, and the audience included
regulars who went every week, ever left disappointed.  IMO, The rotation of
personnel is what made the music vibrant and interesting.

That's one opinion!

Here's another:  a band has its particular sound from its members.  Head
arrangements which are not standard can only be played if the band is
basically the same.  Otherwise, those arrangements are liable to come out
fairly stock (as in stock arrangements!).

Although we play for a "flowing audience of tourists", we do get regulars,
many who have followed us for these past 40 odd years.

The pianist in our band & myself have been steady members since 1967, and
although neither of us is all the special, we have created a "band sound".
We don't play if the pianist or myself are not available!

The newest member, the drummer, joined in 1981.  We have a sub on drums now
who plays as much as our regular, so he's not just a pickup.  Our trumpeter
has been ill a lot lately, and we have a young sub for him when necessary.

If our trumpeter is missing, we always get folks up asking where he is.
They enjoy the band as is, but always miss the "regular" sound.  No, they're
not "disappointed", but something is missing for them.

Vibrant & interesting music!  A change of personnel can create that, but
playing with regulars shouldn't be an excuse to play without experimenting &
changing ideas.

Jim