[Dixielandjazz] You can go home again.

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 17:45:42 PDT 2011

Well, Steve, it was actually Thomas Wolfe but I doubt if you or anyone else
really cares.

It was my understanding that when the Diamonds recorded the 1957 it was
actually intended to be a parody by a white group of the typical black
groups that were pretty much dominating the pop charts and it of course
turned out to be a smash hit.

I have seen several of the "doo-wop" specials that the PBS stations usually
broadcast during "pledge week" and it is quite seldom where all of the
members of a group are the same as the originals back in the 50s.

It is not all that apparent when all the members appear to be about the same
age.  However, when you see three guys who look to be in their 70s and one
guy not more than 40, it might lead one to suspect that the 4th guy is
a "johnny-come-lately".

I am by no means saying this to be critical...face it, people die.  The
important thing to me is if they are capable of presenting a reasonable
facsimile of the original and bring back memories of the era, then their
goal has been achieved., the audience is entertained and then hopefully pick
up their phones and make their pledges.

If I had one complaint, it would be that too often the amount of time that
is devoted to a concert is barely any longer than the sum total of all the
interruptions where they have to repeatedly tell you what your gifts are
going to be at the various levels of donations

I know for a fact that this was the case with the "Billy Joel at Shea
Stadium" that I watched within the past month.

I remember years ago here in Houston (which had the first PBS TV station in
the country), it was cut and dried, You pledged $35 for membership,
entitling you to a coffee mug and a monthly program guide. They may have had
gifts or premiums for higher levels but they didn't make such a production
out of it as they do nowadays that I feel detracts from one's enjoyment of
the progam at hand

I rest my case.

HC

--
Didja evah wonder why there are more horses' asses than there are
horses?