[Dixielandjazz] The REAL Dukes of Dixieland

Tom Coleman optiguytom at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 22 10:12:37 PDT 2011

Nice to hear the New Orleans Bandwagon label mentioned! My father was close friends with the producer and creator of that label, Roger Wolfe. He and his wife, Jean, (along with my dad) fostered my interest in jazz at an early age.
Roger was instrumental (no pun intended as I don't think he could play a kazoo!), in highlighting many of the New Orleans greats including Oscar "Papa" Celestin and Sharkey Bonano as well as the Assuntos' Dukes of Dixieland.
For those of you that are not familiar with the REAL Dukes... at the time they were considered schmaltzy and "commercial" by many jazz musicians. I believe much of that to be jealousy at their fame. Yeah, they issued some pretty corny tunes in their later days, but if you ever get to listen to the albumn they cut with contemporary Pete Fountain or their sessions with Louis.... tell me that ain't honest, swingin', traditional New Orleans style dixieland at it's finest! Louis and Pete never played much better IMHO.
Frankie played a swingingly beautiful trumpet (had an awesome voice as well!), Frankie's tailgate was iconic and exciting.

Tom Coleman
www.optiguytom.com