[Dixielandjazz] Castle Jazz Band (was Dukes of Dixieland)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Mar 21 22:43:34 PDT 2011

Jack Mitchell wrote [in part]:
> .....Some of you might be interested in BWCD-16  from B&W Music in Australia which contains 20 tracks by the Castle Jazz Band from 1947 to 1950. These are very well remastered with a 32 page booklet giving the history of the band and the musicians. Some good photographs are included.
> More details from www.australianclassicjazz.com

Dear Jack,
What you did not mention was that that B&W CD contains the rare original 1949-50 Castle 78s, not the 1959 remake session for Good Time Jazz issued on LP/CD.
Apparently, when GTJ attempted to remaster the Castle 78s for reissue way back when, they discovered distortion and other problems, so decided it would be easier to reassemble the band for a new session using some of the same tunes as on the Castle 78s.
However, Peter Wollstenholme, a Sydney, Australia amateur sound engineer (who you know) took on the transfer-to-CD challenge in 2002.
The result is amazing to anyone (like me) who had the original 78s.
B&W Music (owned by John Buchanan and Peter Wollstenholme) recently discontinued its extensive catalogue of Australian Jazz CDs (the Castle Jazz Band CD was the only non-Oz jazz exception) and have sold all remaining stock to Peter Cowden, the Australian Jazzology/GHB representative.
Which is why the B&W link you gave does not show the CD catalogue.
Peter is currently travelling overseas and not due back in Sydney until mid April.
His website is at:
    http://www.jazzology.com.au/
And the Castle JB CD is still in stock.
Kind regards,