[Dixielandjazz] FW: Dukes of Dixieland

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon Mar 21 12:03:23 PDT 2011

Steve Voce wrote:
>Back in their hey-day in the Fifties we jazz fans regarded the Dukes of
Dixieland (I've got an LP of theirs with Louis, somewhere) and the Fire
House Five + 2 as irrevocably corny.
I did have a soft spot for the Castle Jazz Band though, even though they
were tarred with the sam brush. But we thought none of them were in the same
league as contemporary Scobey (away from the trudge-pig noise of Watters, of
course).

Well, that was when I was beginning, and both bands...and later the Castle
JB, served well as "trainers".  I heard some of that sort of "uppitty" talk
towards the end of the 1950's, but was clever enough (even at such a young
age)to know that those bands were very, very good in their own right.  Just
because they got a bit of public fame brought on the comments, me thinks!

I heard both the Dukes live(in Las Vegas) & the FH5 (in LA at the Beverly
Caverns), and both bands played good music well.  The siren (FH5) was very,
very effective in a small club (ouch!), and was a good crowd pleaser.
Corny?  Not in my book.  Yep, got all their albums, also, though don't pull
them out often now.

Jim