[Dixielandjazz] Dukes of Dixieland

dwlit at cpcug.org dwlit at cpcug.org
Mon Mar 21 09:15:45 PDT 2011

I'm starting to get r-e-a-l-l-y pissy about the unavailability of the
Audio Fidelity recordings. I have the complete set on CD, but I've been
religious about not copying them due to litigation in process. But we've
been hearing about *that* for as long as I've been on DJML.

I'm not a fan (so much more interesting old stuff to listen to), but
sometimes my book customers ask about CDs they can listen to to learn
tunes and play along with. I tell 'em to listen to the Dukes of D. Oh wait
a minute, the original AF stuff isn't on CD. So buy the 11 CD set of the
Federal Jazz Commission. Also, for the West Coast style and repertoire,
Turk Murphy.

The reason I consider the Dukes so valuable is that one can learn all the
cliches (no criticism implied)--intros, endings, routines--used by
dixieland bands.

--Sheik