[Dixielandjazz] NY Times Review of New Smithonian Jazz CD issue

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 20 08:58:10 PDT 2011

Ben Ratliff reviews the new 6 CD issue form the Smithsonian
Institution called: "Jazz: The Smithsonian Anthology". Much too long
to print on the DJML, it is available at:  (Or email me and I send it
off list)

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/20/arts/music/jazz-the-smithsonian-anthology-out-march-29.html?ref=music

The article title is: Ultimate Box of Jazz? Not Exactly

Some excerpts from Ratilff include from the beginning:

"Look out: there's a new jazz canon coming toward you."

to the end: (there was a 47 member advisory panel putting it together)

"What I’m saying is: If ever there was a place for style to follow
subject, for form to follow function, this is the place. A jazz
anthology has got to have spark and tension and originality. In order
for jazz to feel like an open subject, we need more challenging
suppositions about it, whether they translate as pluralistic or
exclusive. But perhaps this just can’t be done by committee. I’ve
never heard good jazz from a 47-member band."

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband