[Dixielandjazz] "Makin' Friends" (was Hoagy Carmichael 1930 Lazy River-liver)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Mar 17 22:24:36 PDT 2011

Marvin Ipswich wrote [in part]:
> I don't hear a trombone behind Jack's vocal. On the first chorus, what I
> hear is McPartland playing a concert Eb on the cornet and bending the note
> and, obviously, Krupa playing afterbeats on the tom-tom.

Dear Marvin,
I can still, after all the years, hear trombone notes (at 1.22) and a trombone slur (at 1.30) during Jack's vocal.
    http://redhotjazz.com/songs/condon/makinfriends.ram
We young 'uns theorised that Jimmy McPartland may have picked up JT's trombone to provide impromptu harmony notes behind the vocal on the first part of the vocal.
However, it was probably an intentional part of the arrangement, as was the low register clarinet.
Although, we teenage mouldy figs would never have accepted that, way back then.
*>)
But, as you say, ears can deceive. I may be hearing what I want to hear.

> You are aware that Jack is playing the solos with the bell off the horn and substituting a drinking glass for the bell section.

Yes.
He also does it on the Mound City Blue Blowers' "Tailspin Blues" (25 September 1929), the famous Louis Armstrong May 1947 Town Hall Concert version of "St James Infirmary" and a YouTube 'Swingtime' video of "Jack Armstrong Blues" at:
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58q6ehYrWoU
I have a vague memory of it being featured on a 'Whoopee Makers' small group side.
Must check them out as they contain some great music. And Teagarden.
Very kind regards,
Bill.