[Dixielandjazz] Up The Lazy Liver

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 17 18:14:36 PDT 2011

> Bill Haesler <bhaesler at bigpond.net.au> wrote (polite snip)(
>
> Marvin Ipswich wrote [in part]:
>> I'm wondering if anyone else hears Hoagy sing "liver" instead of
>> "river" at
>> 1:26 on this 1930 version
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQwCi8f3iuk
>> Sadly this is not the best quality recording since it seems to have
>> been
>> taken off the original 78.
>
> Dear Marvin,
> Sorry, but no. Unfortunately.
> It would have been a pleasure to confirm your discovery.
> (I used earphones to check my copy on the JSP CD Hoagy 2.)

It does sound like "liver" at 2:13, at least on my Mac, but I'll defer
to Bill and his earphones.

But, back in 1960, I played a party at Henry Ford II vacation house in
Water Mill, Long Island. (He loved Dixieland) It was a a going away
party for Robert McNamara, who served just one month as President of
Ford and then resigned to become Secretary of Defense for JFK.

There were 7 of us in the Southampton Dixie, Racing and Clambake
Society Jazz Band playing before 8 people in the living room. Henry
serving us drinks himself as there were no servants present.

He requested "Up The Lazy River" and then drink in  hand proceeded to
sing the entire chorus leading off with  . . ."Up the Lazy Liver".

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband