[Dixielandjazz] The Mills Brothers

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Thu Mar 17 09:39:13 PDT 2011

>From another email List.  Might be of interest to some members of DJML.

This is a wonderful and welcome release on Jasmine by the great Mills Brothers.
>From the late fifties to the late sixties, The Mills Brothers recorded about 20 albums
for the Dot label. Almost all are excellent. Very few of them have been available
on CD. What a shame for they are in their mature vocal prime. This new 2-CD set contains
the Dot albums Great Hits, Great Barbershop Hits and The Mills Brother Sing.
All date from about 1958 to 1960. The sound is astonishingly fresh as though recorded
recently. The individual voices of Herbert, Harry and Donald (I don't know which
voice is which) are sheer perfection and dazzle me. Their awesome blend and musicianship
should be required listening for today's young aspiring groups. They need to know
what glorious music preceded them. The arrangements are terrific and this is a set
that should not be overlooked. I can't stop listening to it. And I wish more attention
would be given to important reissues like this.
Carroll

--Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
530/ 642-9551 Office
916/ 806-9551 Cell
Amateur (Ham) Radio K6YBV

An Irish Man is sitting in the pub with his wife and he says, "I love you."
She asks, "Is that you or the beer talking?"
He replies, "It's me talking to the beer."