[Dixielandjazz] more regarding lute-shaped instruments

Marvin Ipswich cornet at clearwire.net
Wed Mar 16 12:06:00 PDT 2011

I just received an interesting email from Steve Senerchia of
musicmakersteve.com. He plays, collects, buys and sells stringed instruments
and has owned several of the lute-shaped instruments. This is what he says
regarding the so-called "tenor-lute"

*Basically they were banjo necks on mandolin type bodies…those I had were
the cylinder back models…*

*Banjo players would use them for stuff that required a softer tone…*

*Paramount made something along the same lines…basically a wood banjo…no
banjo drum head…a spruce top…*

*It seems as though the term “lute” was used quite loosely as Gibson made
something called a lute as well..which was*

*A banjo type instrument with a wood body (a la mandolin)…*
*Vega seems to have made lots of stuff with the cylinder back…I had some
guitars with that construction too.*

Regards,
Marvin